Posted 19 June 2016 – Closing date: 17 July 2016
Personal and Communication Assistant PowerWood
16 hours a week (several hours per working day) with potential for growth.
Flexible working considered after induction period.
Pro Rata £17,000 – £22,500 per annum based on experience.
Preferably near Crediton.
Starting date to be agreed.
PowerWood C.I.C is the UK’s leading not-for-profit, community driven, social venture committed to raising awareness of neurological diversity as a positive force for change in society. PowerWood aims to improve the emotional wellbeing of families and individuals living with intensity, hyper-sensitivity and super-reactivity. Psychologists refer to these combined traits as ‘overexcitability’ (OE). Having this increased sensitivity, awareness and intensity makes a real difference to how life is experienced. These positive personality traits may bring above-average energy, pleasure, enjoyment, creativity, interests and empathy. OE also often comes with the deep urge to make the world a better place for everyone.
PowerWood provides support, tools & strategies and opportunities— leading to more harmonious family life, where people are able to fulfil their passions and dreams.
PowerWood is a not-for-profit organisation looking for someone who is goal-orientated, enthusiastic and precise, with outstanding communication skills and a responsive, flexible working style who is interested in joining a small team (currently 3 people) with a growing group of actively involved volunteers (50) who are focused on learning and growing together, personally and organisationally and make the world a better place.
Feeling positively affiliated with PowerWood’s aims and values connects us all.
PowerWood aims to ‘walk the talk’. We model taking responsibility for ourselves, looking after ourselves and our environment (and all those who live in it) and together put our best into furthering PowerWood’s aims while being true to ourselves.
You will be offered training during the induction period and later when appropriate, access to relevant external training and courses (paid for by PowerWood, in your own time) and regular coaching support (within your working hours).
You will work closely with Simone de Hoogh (PowerWood CEO) to provide administrative support and to help her to make the best use of her time, for example by dealing with secretarial and administrative tasks.
You will need to become familiar with how PowerWood works, get to know who key people are (both external and internal) and to develop an understanding of PowerWood’s aims and objectives.
You will need to be able to work efficiently in Simone de Hoogh’s (CEO PowerWood) absence. Discretion, tact, confidentiality, integrity, initiative and the ability to work under pressure are therefore essential attributes for a successful applicant.
You will act as Simone de Hoogh’s first point of contact with people from both inside and outside the organisation. Tasks include:
- Devising and maintaining office systems, including data management and filing and ensuring that all records are kept fully up to date
- Dealing with incoming email, messages and post, often corresponding on behalf of Simone
- Screening phone calls, enquiries and requests, and handling them when appropriate
- Organising and maintaining diaries, making appointments/meetings and ensuring Simone is well prepared for meetings
- Carrying out background research (eg related to clients or PowerWood) and presenting findings
- Updating facebook, website and leading volunteer teams’ google.doc documents
- Producing documents, briefing papers, reports and presentations
- Liaising with clients, colleagues, event attendees, volunteers and suppliers
In addition to supporting Simone, you will have your own personal responsibilities. These will include:
- Coordinating, writing and editing the monthly Newsletter
- Coordinating and communicating with Volunteer Teams
- Coordinating PowerWood events
- Coordinating PowerWood publications
- Responsibility for insurance policies, including ensuring they are up to date and that they cover all activities within PowerWood
- Deputising for Simone, making decisions and delegating work to others in Simone’s absence
- Assisting Simone with the growing social media workload
A minimum of two years relevant experience.
In addition to relevant experience and secretarial/administrative knowledge, you will need to show evidence of the following:
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills
- Excellent word processing and IT skills, and knowledge of the IT solutions PowerWood uses, such as: MailChimp, Dropbox, WordPress, Buffer, Google apps for work, Insightly, Skype, FaceTime, Google hangouts, Recording apps etc.
- Familiarity with social media, including knowledge of FaceBook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram and new emerging apps
- Ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines
- Good organisational and time management skills
- Ability to research, digest, analyse and present material clearly and concisely
- Excellent interpersonal skills, friendly, confident and assertive manner when required
- A good listener with the ability to respond to issues in a positive and supportive manner
- Ability to work on your own initiative
- Honesty and reliability
- Attention to detail
- Flexibility and adaptability to juggle a range of tasks and to work extra hours to meet deadlines
- Tact, discretion and an understanding of the principles of confidentiality
[h4]The following skills may give you a competitive advantage:[/h4]
Touch typing / audio typing, editing skills, marketing, and social impact measuring skills.